Before Christmas I spoke to a woman who was ordering our velvet fabric to make her own Fairtrade curtains for her living room. She had already bought a selection of cushion covers from us and some throws from another company: she told me she was planning to refurbish the room with only Fairtrade/Fair Trade items. It got me thinking as to just how far could you go towards having a Fairtrade/Fair Trade home....
1. Furniture. The appropriately-named Fairtrade Furniture can help you with this. Their comfy and stylish armchairs are made by skilled Javan crafts-people.
2. Floor-Coverings. Adorn your floors with beautiful Indian Kilims from Myakka. Like us, Myakka are based in the South West of the UK. They have been sourcing their products from Indian suppliers on Fair Trade terms since 1999.
3. Bedding. Of course you can source Fairtrade certified organic cotton sheets, pillowcases and duvet sets from us, or you could just go for the first two and make yourself a patchwork quilt of Fairtrade cotton cloth from Fairtrade Fabric instead of the duvet set - in either case you'll be creating much needed employment for the weavers of K.V.Kuppam.
4. Bathing. After a bath-time pampering with Neal's Yard Fairtrade Jasmine Shower Gel, dry yourself off with a soft and cosy bath towel from Natural Collection.
5. Wining and Dining. Finally relax with a glass of Fairtrade wine from Ethical Wines, sipped from Fair Trade recycled glasses handcrafted in Bolivia.
Let me know of other items you can think of to add to a future Fairtrade/Fair Trade home...